It's been a really eventful week and my disappointment in not being able to go for CCAL camp in place of Scout's June Camp has completely subsided (although having 6 other CCALs in my class isn't really helping my case). I've been through so much more this camp than I had experienced last year and it's probably because we shrunk our core team down to the 6 of us. Essentially, a camp run by a band of brothers can never match the standards of a camp organized by family--because we are not just brothers, we are blood brothers, stained with the same genes and ideals.
I think this camp has been a major success in every way possible. Punitive measures may have gone overboard at times but at least they got their condiments this year right? Either way, I think we've all grown as leaders and managers and for that, I'm really proud of our maturation. Above all, we've really made this camp an enjoyable experience for all of us. Not many scouts can actually claim the rare award of organizing 2 June camps and I would like to think that none has made June camp as awesome as we have done with ours. Really, despite the fact that this will probably be the last major activity we will have in our scouting commitment to 02, I leave no regrets behind now. Last year, I left camp shagged and drowned with fatigue, carrying a strain of HFMD. There were people we hated in camp, excess food, excess manpower, lodging was cramped, welfare was minimal. Everything changed this year, and that made everything a whole lot better. I'm glad for this opportunity to reforge my relationships with this scouting family of mine, especially since I've been MIA for quite a bit owing to other commitments (Jervan, I know you'll read this and I henceforth apologize!).
I've learned many things through camp, most of which I have learned before; just forgotten. Camp brought back many nostalgic experiences that I underwent in my three years undergoing June Camp. I remember how I entered June Camp 1 day late in Sec 1 and I missed batch dynamics. That really lifted my spirits there and then but in retrospect, I was at the losing end. Giving the debrief for the Sec 1s (or year 1s as they would refer to themselves as), I realized the sheer importance of literally going through mud and crap together, especially at the preliminary stages of scouting. I told them how 02 is not just another scout troop, but THE scout troop and apart from abiding by strict standards and all, your batch makes the difference in your scouting journey. Even real men need friends for no man is an island.
Looking at all the sec 3s, I vaguely remember my own struggle to enter the Court of Honor and after doing so, the painstaking and selfless efforts that we all exhibited during camp. Camp is no mean feat, given the exhaustion and a crazy camp committee like ours and yet, the tenacity and vigor shown by some of my juniors really inspired me. How so many of the Sec 3s managed to step up and take over leadership was really awe-inspiring and in some ways, it reminded me of my own leadership journey. Honestly, I don't really remember the details of my growth and maturation across the three years when I first started out my journey but I do remember that as a Sec 1, I was a whiny and cynical member (possibly still am) that perhaps drew derogatory comments from many of my seniors (I assume this because of how critical we can be of our juniors, even Sec 1s). But all that changed and evolved and I ended up as a Patrol Leader and on hindsight, I cannot be more grateful for the rare opportunity to lead a group of 11 scouts.
Scouting has really formed the foundation for my leadership and it has taught me so many lessons, some of which I may have forgotten but after #junecamp2012, I am glad to say that I now remember them once again. In fact, I have incorporated some in my life as I speak, the most important being: your batchmates are the most important people in your life, remember this now, and don't forget it, ever.
Scouting is more than a CCA. It is a lifelong journey and a lifestyle you will always carry on.
#junecamp2012. trending in my heart and soul.